Library Conduct Policy
“Boatwright Memorial Library empowers University of Richmond community members to excel in their academic, intellectual and individual pursuits by providing diverse information resources, personalized services, and creative learning spaces.”
The following conduct policies aim to ensure a library environment that fully supports the mission of Boatwright Memorial Library. Patrons of Boatwright Library are entitled to a clean, safe, environment conducive to learning and the free exchange of information, access to library resources, and courteous assistance from library staff. In return patrons are obligated to abide by the following policies:
- Do not do anything that disrupts others’ use of the library.
- Do not leave personal belongings unattended or “camp out”. Staff retains the right to place unattended items in lost and found located at the main service desk.
- Upon request, patrons are required to present a valid UR ID or other valid form of ID when on Library premises.
- All individuals who wish to enter or stay on the premises of Boatwright Library during overnight hours when the Library is closed to the general public are required to present their UR issued ID card upon request.
- Library users are expected to comply with all local, state, and federal laws as well as the UR student code of conduct.
- Only approved signs and posters may be posted in the library.
- The use of pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags is not allowed; overnight sleeping is not permitted.
- Shirts and footwear are required in the library at all times.
- Possessing or consuming alcohol, or being under the influence of alcohol, is prohibited.
- Indecent exposure or sexual conduct, including inappropriate public displays of affection, is prohibited.
- Respect library property and materials by abiding by circulation procedures, keeping them clean, unmarked, and intact. Anyone who damages materials or equipment is responsible for repair or replacement costs.
- Ensure the safety of all patrons by abstaining from activities that would endanger others; including bringing unauthorized weapons, vehicles or equipment, animals (excluding service animals), and other items onto the premises.
- Respect silence in designated quiet areas.
- Speak in low voices in approved areas of the library and while using cell phones and other means of communication (Skype, VOIP).
- Please wear headphones when listening to audio.
- Food and drink are allowed in most areas of BML; however, patrons are expected to consume food and beverages neatly, respecting other users and library property.
- Always clean up your trash using the trash or recycling receptacles.
- Report spills to library staff immediately.
Updated: August 2014