Research Tips and Tutorials
*FYS Students** Start in Blackboard and take the PRETEST before viewing the tutorial. The quiz is embedded in the video and your certificate of completion provides your quiz score which will be sent to your professor.
Getting Started with Library Research
Hints for getting started on your library research, including searching for books, articles, websites and evaluating your resources.
Library of Congress Classification
How to read a Library of Congress Call Number.
Scholarly Resources Tutorial
This tutorial will help you better understand the nature of scholarly resources.
Watch the full video or view by section below.
- Part 1 - Overview – Why scholarly sources matter and what makes a resource scholarly (2:26)
- Part 2 - Audience – How to determine a scholarly audience (4:33)
- Part 3 - Expertise – How to identify an author’s expertise (6:05)
- Part 4 - Vetting – How to verify that a resource used a scholarly vetting process (4:10)
- Part 5 - Review – How to find and identify scholarly resources (:33)